Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > How to make ADE XL start a simulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to make ADE XL start a simulation 

Last post Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:58 AM by PravinMane. 13 replies.
Started by Spirito 03 Sep 2009 06:24 AM. Topic has 13 replies and 11515 views
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Sep 3 2009 6:24 AM

• Spirito
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 3 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    How to make ADE XL start a simulation Reply

Recently I moved to work with IC 6.1.3 , where the monte carlo was moved to ADE XL.

I am able to start the ADE XL and set up everything , but when I try to run monte carlo (or even a single sweep)  I get error message 

ADEXL-1921 (see Attachment. Are there new environment variables I forgot ?

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Sep 7 2009 4:57 AM

• Spirito
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 3 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    Re: How to make ADE XL start a simulation Reply
    OKAY ! it is apparently an OS issue. I run SUSE 11.1 64bit and ADE XL ran fine on Centos 4 (or 5), I guess I will have to reinstall.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Aug 5 2010 12:11 PM

• jimito13
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 5 2010
    • Ilion, Athens Greece
    • Posts 51
    • Points 855

Have you found any solution for this issue??We also have the same problem in our lab to the workstations with opensuse 11.1...On the other hand no problem exists under RHEL5.5...There must be a way to get rid of this error message,if somebody knows something let him give as a walkthrough.Thanks in advance.

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 12:37 AM

• Noranaga
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 1 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

In my case the 32bit libgdbm.so.2 was missing. Unfortunately the error message was suppressed. By manually running the temporarily created runICRP-Script in the Cadence temp dir got error this message, e.g.:

/bin/sh /home/***/.tmp_***//runICRP*

After installing the 32bit Package of gdbm ADE XL runs without the error code 1921.

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 7:26 AM

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 10:15 AM

• jimito13
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Ilion, Athens Greece
    • Posts 51
    • Points 855

Hi Andrew,

How can i see the link to the solution in case there is not an ability to perform the registration procedure??I don't possess the Host ID and it is a little bit difficult for me to get it...Is it possible that you post the solution here?I would appreciate it...

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Jimito13

• Mon, Nov 1 2010 10:22 AM

Hi Jimito13,

In general you should contact whoever manages your licenses - they should be able to give you the hostid of the  license server. If you're at a university, you either need to go through your university program (e.g. Europractice in Europe, or via your professor elsewhere (I think)) to get support.

I'll paste the actual solution text here though. BTW , I don't think this problem will occur in IC614, because "nograph" mode doesn't use Xndx any more but a different approach. Here it is:

The problem is caused by the libgdbm shared library being missing. This would normally
    be in /usr/lib (or sometimes /usr/lib64).

On a functioning machine, this is at:

ldd /my/install/IC613/tools/dfII/bin/Xndx
            linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
            libgdbm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2 (0xf7ff6000)
            libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00bd4000)
            libelf.so.1 => /usr/lib/libelf.so.1 (0xf7fe1000)
            libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00a79000)
            /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00a5c000)

And it is contained within this RPM package:

> rpm -q -f /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2
    gdbm-1.8.0-26.2.1

The version number may vary, depending on your OS version.

This package must be installed for "nograph" modes to work, as it is required by the
    Xndx "null" X server.

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Nov 1 2010 11:34 AM

• jimito13
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Ilion, Athens Greece
    • Posts 51
    • Points 855

Andrew,

At first thanks for your quick and helpful feedback :-) I am the license administrator of our lab and i tried to perform the reg with our server's MAC address and it failed...What else could be a host ID?I have noticed when spectre simulations start,there is a number indicated as Host ID,could this be what i need to do the reg correctly?In any case,i will ask my professor and if needed we will contact Europractice to provide us with the correct info.

I searched over the net,but i can't locate the libgdbm.so.2 rpm for OpenSuse 11.1 x64...i found only the rpm libgdbm.so.3 but fails to install.In addition,the rpm sources that linux installation has by default doesn't seem to find what i search for.Do you have a link that installs properly?I would appreciate a final helpful answer.

Thank you in advance.

My Best Regards,

Jimito13

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:38 AM

Hi Jimito13,

A couple of things:

1. I don't think IC613 was actually supported on SuSE 11; that said, support appears to have been added in an IC613 hotfix. IC614 is supported though - see http://www.cadence.com/rl/Resources/release_info/Supported_Platforms_Matrix.pdf
    2. However, there is some special support in the wrappers for SuSE and it uses shared libraries in <ICinstDir>/tools/lib/SuSE - which actually link to appropriate SuSE libraries. It appears that there's a link in there for libgdm.so.2 which links to /usr/lib/libgdbm.so.3 - so I think it should be sufficient to install the libgdbm.so.3 RPM
    3. Using a supported version (IC614) would be better, but even then you'll need libgdbm.so.3 installed - but I don't think that's needed for ADE XL any more (because -nograph mode now uses a VNC-based approach to swallow up the X traffic, rather than the old "Xndx" null X server). IC613 is no longer supported.

As for the hostid issue. What you need is the hostid in your license file (rather than the MAC address directly - although it is derived from the MAC address). However, for Europractice users I believe you cannot get a full Cadence Online Support account. Instead you need to contact Europractice who can get you set up with a "COS Lite" (it used to be called "Sourcelink Lite") account. This allows you to look at solutions etc, but not log service requests as that has to go through Europractice. I don't know all the details I'm afraid, but Europractice should be able to help you out on this.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:47 AM

• jimito13
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Ilion, Athens Greece
    • Posts 51
    • Points 855

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your feedback,very instructive and very helpful :-)

My Best Regards,

Jimito13

• Mon, Feb 14 2011 1:56 AM

• Rajesh D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 14 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 50

Hi Andrew,

We are using IC 6.1.3 with MMSIM 7.2  (both 32-bit binaries) on Debian (64-bit) OS. ADE XL takes long time to start to simulate and monte carlo simulation with single resistor and current source  circuit  20 runs takes about 25 minutes. 

I had the error with  libgdbm.so.2 and I fixed it.  I have also added a line in .cdsenv  ( adexl.icrpStartup  binaryName string "virtuoso -nocdsinit" ). This did not speed up anything.

Another thing I tried was moving to IC 6.1.4 on same platform, single run simulation not even starting.

We had problems with Debian 32-bit OS too. 

Is there any solution for this problem?

• Post Points: 50
  • Mon, Feb 14 2011 2:54 AM

Rajesh,

The solution is to contact customer support at http://support.cadence.com - it's hard to know what is wrong in your environment, and probably needs some detailed diagnosis.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

• Sat, Apr 16 2011 1:02 PM

• Elkim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 18 2010
    • West Lafayette, IN
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Hi Rajesh, as Andrew pointed out, the new ADE XL uses vncserver to send the X traffic. However, the vncserver cadence is using, looks for fonts on old X11 standard dirs. Debian uses xorg instead of X11. Then you have to link the fonts to cadence vncsever in debian as: ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts @Andrew, I do not understand why ADE XL is using vncserver even when I choose to run local?
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:58 AM

• PravinMane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 21 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Hi Rajesh 

How you solved the problem of Message 1921. I am still facing the problem on ADE XL. Simulation doesn't start.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Spirito at 03 Sep 2009 06:24 AM. Topic has 13 replies.