Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How to reuse the hierarchical block?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to reuse the hierarchical block? 

Last post Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:57 AM by Wild. 6 replies.
Started by ChristopherG 16 Aug 2009 08:40 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 5179 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Aug 16 2009 8:40 PM

How to reuse the hierarchical block? Reply

Hello, everyone.

I am now learning the CAPTURE's complex hierarchical design structure and I am using the software version 9.1. I am now encoutering a confusing problem. My problem is same as the author of the theme:http://www.chronology.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=23229

That is I want to reuse the descend schematic of a hierarchical block(suppose named A) many times, because there are many similar circuit blocks in my design. Firstly I creat a hierarchical block named A and complete the descend shematic of it. But when I make a copy of the hierarchical block A, I find that the reference designator of all the components in the descend schematic are the same between the copy and A. And when I change the componet reference in the descend schematic of either A or the copy, the other change at the same time. This makes the problem that A and its copy refers to the same circuit block but not two similiar one.
      I have read the help files of the software very clearly, but can't get the answer.
    Wishing for your reply.Thank you.
    Filed under:
    • Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Aug 17 2009 5:58 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,445
    • Points 24,590
    Re: How to reuse the hierarchical block? Answer Reply

If you have more than one copy of a hierarchical block in a design, the design is called a "complex hierarchy", the design will have changed to "Occurrences" mode and the annotation will be stored in the Occurrences properties. Tools>Annotate, select "Unconditional reference update" will correctly annotate the design. Use Edit>Properties on the part(s) and modify the properties in the "yellow" rows or columns as required to change the Occurrences properties, changing the visibile properties will affect ALL of the occurrences.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Aug 17 2009 2:07 PM

• Wild
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 9 2008
    • Reading, PA
    • Posts 43
    • Points 515
    Re: How to reuse the hierarchical block? Reply

I wrote a tutorial for my coworkers, this may help, but then again...

:)

http://www.4shared.com/file/125730463/417c8801/Hierarchical_Design_Example_for_Design_Reuse.html

• Mon, Aug 17 2009 7:21 PM

oldmouldy:

If you have more than one copy of a hierarchical block in a design, the design is called a "complex hierarchy", the design will have changed to "Occurrences" mode and the annotation will be stored in the Occurrences properties. Tools>Annotate, select "Unconditional reference update" will correctly annotate the design. Use Edit>Properties on the part(s) and modify the properties in the "yellow" rows or columns as required to change the Occurrences properties, changing the visibile properties will affect ALL of the occurrences.

Thank you very much, oldmouldy!

With your help, I have solved my problem now. And I think the key point is that I hadn't understand the definition of "occurrences" in complex hierarchy. So I must set tool->annotate->mode to "update occurrences", to get different reference designators for the corresponding components in the different occurrence.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Aug 17 2009 7:30 PM

Wild:

I wrote a tutorial for my coworkers, this may help, but then again...

:)

http://www.4shared.com/file/125730463/417c8801/Hierarchical_Design_Example_for_Design_Reuse.html

Good work for our fresh user, but I can't visit this site!

Thank you all the same.

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:32 PM

• enajc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 7 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    I'm having the same problem and thank goodness I found this topic!
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:57 AM

• Wild
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 9 2008
    • Reading, PA
    • Posts 43
    • Points 515

Hosting site went down, try this link:

http://freepdfhosting.com/38e7c5b27f.pdf

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ChristopherG at 16 Aug 2009 08:40 PM. Topic has 6 replies.