Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Irregular Footprints in Layout Plus and/or Help Migrating Design to Allegro PCB Editor

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Irregular Footprints in Layout Plus and/or Help Migrating Design to Allegro PCB Editor 

Last post Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:54 AM by cwparker. 4 replies.
Started by cwparker 13 Aug 2009 02:17 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 3655 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Aug 13 2009 2:17 PM

• cwparker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 13 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Irregular Footprints in Layout Plus and/or Help Migrating Design to Allegro PCB Editor Reply
    Greetings all- I'm trying to use the following RF connector, Radiall R222508000, in a design I'm working on: http://radiall.applixia.net/catalogue/resource?path=PRODUCT/PDF/TDS/coaxialconnectors/R222508000EN.pdf It has irregular pad shapes in the footprint. I've designed the board in Layout Plus with a different connector in place of this one. I know how to change the footprints, however, I don't know how to create a footprint with pad shapes like this. I've tried attaching an appropriately shaped copper area to a small pin, but when copper is poured around the part it completely floods the copper area. As an alternative, I'd be okay with migrating my design from Layout Plus to Allegro PCB Editor. In attempting to do this (File>Import>OrCAD Layout), the translation aborts with an error "the output directory is not writable". I can't seem to figure out what allegro is trying to use as an output directory... and consequently can't change it. There aren't many directories on this machine that I can't write to... The directory containing the layout file I want to translate IS writable. Any help would be much appreciated!
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Aug 13 2009 3:10 PM

• hpattie
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Posts 43
    • Points 675
    Re: Irregular Footprints in Layout Plus and/or Help Migrating Design to Allegro PCB Editor Reply

The write error sounds like a Vista operating system problem. If this is the case Open Allegro using "Run as administrator".

For the symbol issue, Create a shape symbol in th shape of the connector pin. You can then create a padstack with this shape for the pad. Then create your footprint and use this padstack for the pins.

Regards,

Harold Pattie

harold.pattie@ericsson.com

• Tue, Aug 18 2009 5:48 AM

• cwparker
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Re: Irregular Footprints in Layout Plus and/or Help Migrating Design to Allegro PCB Editor Reply

I wish it were as easy as blaming it on Vista. I'm running XP SP3. I still tried running Allegro using administrative privledges, to no avail. 

Creating the symbol in and using the shape as a padstack is something I think I can figure out. But is there a way to do something similar with Layout Plus?

Thanks,

--Chad

• Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:45 AM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 876
    • Points 13,500

Run the import again and when finished do "File->Viewlog" -- what does it say?

• Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:54 AM

• cwparker
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

It's not actually generating a log file!

"<log file name and path> does not exist"

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by cwparker at 13 Aug 2009 02:17 PM. Topic has 4 replies.