Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > memory error

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

memory error 

Last post Thu, Jan 2 2014 2:28 AM by Abhishek D. 10 replies.
Started by Andy Liu 06 Aug 2009 08:41 AM. Topic has 10 replies and 12823 views
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Aug 6 2009 8:41 AM

• Andy Liu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 4
    • Points 110
    memory error Reply
    Recently my design goes into the last stage. The simulation was very slow (lasting several days). Moreover, my simulation software crashed several times. I got the error messages below.

(1). Unable to allocate memory for transition file slice variable transition index level (read). ERROR: Unable to allocate memory for reading transition file unpack map. Insufficient memory to continue. Cannot satisfy request for 364 more bytes of memory. Terminating process. malloc: Cannot allocate memory.

(2) Unable to allocate memory for transition file slice variable transition index level (read). ERROR: Unable to allocate memory for transition file slice variable transition index level (read).

My hardware is an eight-core Intel CPU with 32 GB memory (The memory size is already the largest supported by the hardware). I use Spectre in analog design environment of cadence.

My questions are:
    (1) Is my memory not large enough?
    (2) Is there any way (e.g. environment setting) to bypass these problem?
    • Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Aug 6 2009 11:02 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 212
    • Points 5,625
    Re: memory error Reply

Hi Andy,

I recommend filing a Service Request via sourcelink.cadence.com and sending in your spectre.out and CDS.log files.  Is Spectre failing?  Or is the error occuring when you are reading in/plotting the data?   Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit spectre?

If the simulation data is from Spectre and the waveform tool used is WaveScan, and simulation results directory is greated than 2G in size, then please follow solution# 11264780
    http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/db/kdb/2006/Aug/11264780.html to
    split your PSF directory in 2 Gigs chunks when you run big simulations next time.

best regards,

Tawna

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    • Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Jan 6 2012 8:55 AM

• nrbyrne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Hi Tawna,

I'm running an ocean smiulation and get this error.
    How do i resolve this issue with ocean?
    Do i just set ths environment variable (mentioned in the link you posted) in the terminal i run the ocean script ?

Kind Regards,
    Niall.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:31 AM

Niall,

I see you've logged SR 42747808 for this - probably best to handle it there as I see there is some complexity to your issue.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
  • Sun, Jun 30 2013 6:39 AM

• winever
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 28 2013
    • NanJing, Jiangsu
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Hi Andy, How did you solve your problem? I met the same problem as you did when I was doing Monte Carlo analysis of my layout. Some files in my PSF directory are really large, more than 20G in size. Hope you can do me a favor, I really appreciate it.

Best regard,

Winever.

• Sun, Jun 30 2013 6:50 AM

• winever
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 28 2013
    • NanJing, Jiangsu
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

Hi Tawna,

Since the Sourcelink has been replaced by Cadence online support, I can't find the solution you proposed to this problem. Is there another URL links to that solution? If there is, could you send it to me? I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Winever.

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 3:31 AM

Winever,

Not sure this solution will really help you - but the new URL is this.

Which version of the IC tools are you using? (Help->About in the CIW will tell you the subversion). Or type getVersion(t) in the CIW and report what it says.

Thanks,

Andrew.

• Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:30 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 212
    • Points 5,625

Thanks, Andrew!

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  • Wed, Jan 1 2014 11:02 PM

• Abhishek D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 26 2012
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 14
    • Points 220
    Hi Tawna,

I am facing the similar issue. I have already finished my simulation and my file is tran.tran.trn. Now I am running an ocean script to process the data. Since the data size is very huge some 40 50 GB, I am facing less memory problem.

I used one method which Mr Andrew Becket has suggested. http://www.cadence.com/community/forums/p/23266/1313635.aspx

But I am facing the issue again. Sorry for reposting the issue again, as I think this is the correct thread to solve the issue.

Best Regards
    Abhishek
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 2:16 AM

In addition to the comments I posted in the other thread (please don't cross-post), you may be best advised to save less. If you're generating 40-50Gbytes of data, you must be saving lots of signals and probably lots of points too. The chances are you probably don't need all of that data...

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 2:28 AM

• Abhishek D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 26 2012
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 14
    • Points 220
    Hi Andrew,

My apologies for not following the forum guidelines.

I am not saving all the signals, I am saving only the relevant ones. It is the transient time that is creating huge amount of data. Anyways it seems, my problem is solved by 64 bit version of ocean.

Thanks & Best  Regards
    Abhishek
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Andy Liu at 06 Aug 2009 08:41 AM. Topic has 10 replies.