Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > .brd to dxf

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

.brd to dxf 

Last post Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:45 AM by pseeb. 3 replies.
Started by MAAC 20 Jul 2009 08:55 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 2593 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jul 20 2009 8:55 PM

• MAAC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 195
    • Points 3,620
    .brd to dxf Reply

Hi,

Whenever i convert any brd files to dxf...all the refdes say R1, C1 in the brd files will be displayed as REFDES, REFDES...Some times the refdes appears as only C*, R*....

Any settings has to be made b4 converting into dxf so tht all the refdes appears in sync with the brd file?

Can anybody help me to solve this issue of refdes..

Thnx...

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jul 21 2009 5:57 AM

• pseeb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • Posts 19
    • Points 305
    Re: .brd to dxf Reply

Sounds like you have "Export Blocks" enabled.  The DXF Blocks are created from the symbol definition, which doesn't have the ref des. (It will be what you see in the Allegro Symbol Editor).

Try exporting without the blocks enabled.

• Tue, Jul 21 2009 10:55 PM

• MAAC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 195
    • Points 3,620

Thnx for the reply...i could convert the dxf with proper refdes..but i am not able to see the height of the components even though i have specified the Max & Min Ht( under Setup-Area-Package ht in the Allegro) in the dxf viewer...i am using dxf sharp viewer to view the 3D of the board....

Any other settings has to enabled?

• Wed, Jul 22 2009 6:45 AM

• pseeb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • Posts 19
    • Points 305

No. There is nothing else you can do.  You will only get the height values when you export blocks.  Exporting blocks is useful if you want a DXF version of your Allegro symbol.

For exporting a board, it is best to NOT export blocks.  This will get you accurate component instance refdes and placement information.  You already discovered the refeds issue.  When components are placed on the bottom of the board, exporting blocks will not produce the correct view.  Again, this is because the block is created from the symbol definition.  When you place the component on the bottom of the board, Allegro adjusts all of the layers according to the placement, (Top becomes Bottom, etc.) .  DXF does not have a mechanism for doing this to a block because DXF is not aware of a PCB's layer stackup.  In DXF, the block can be mirrored, but the result is equivalent to placing the component updside down on the top of the board.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by MAAC at 20 Jul 2009 08:55 PM. Topic has 3 replies.