Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > create footprints in pcb editor.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

create footprints in pcb editor. 

Last post Fri, Nov 29 2013 1:44 AM by steve. 8 replies.
Started by blackflowers 16 Jun 2009 09:57 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 7965 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jun 16 2009 9:57 AM

create footprints in pcb editor. Reply

how can i create a footprint in pcb editor? i remember in orcad i used the library manager. But i have seen in another post that pcb editor haven't got anything like library manager. is that true? ¿how do you create a footprint in pcb editor?

regards.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:03 PM

• Prasanna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 16 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,705
    Re: create footprints in pcb editor. Reply

Hi,

Yes, the PCB editor  is totally different from Orcad layout. I dont know which tool are you using, but I guess this would be the common steps for PCB editors.

Click on  NEW option under File menu, you will get New Drawing  window.  Select Package symbol in drawing type. Browse the loaction where you want save that. then OK

You will be taken to Package editor. Select add pins. Before this you have to create proper padstack for the component and have to assign library path under User prference where your all padstack are saved. Use the padstack and create the part and save it. That creates .DRA and .PSM files. Though it make you confuse when you moved from layout to PCB editor, but you can manage these with the help file. Go through that and give a try.

Hope this helps,,,, 

Thanks,

Prasanna Hegde

• Wed, Jun 17 2009 6:45 AM

yes, i think i have understand but i still don't know: how do you create padstacks?

thanks a lot!

• Wed, Jun 17 2009 8:39 PM

• Prasanna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 16 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,705

hi,

I am using the Orcad 16.2 PCB editor. Referring that I am giving the path to PAD designer.

Start> Program> Orcad 16.2> Orcad PCB editor Utilities> Pad designer.

This is a small tool where you can create different types of pads. Please go through the help file and search fot the topic. This has totally different flow while creating the footprint. You can learn the things using help files, it's  bit confusing in the beginning.

Hope this helps..

Thanks,

Prasanna Hegde

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:46 PM

• HANUMAGOUDA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 30 2009
    • BANGALORE, Karnataka
    • Posts 10
    • Points 80
    Hello sir, Can u please tell me the steps to create circular footprint?. I am facing problem in this type of footprint. Problem is whenever i placed all the pads i can not able to put "Silkscreen_top" and "Place_bound_top" around these pads . Please help me in this regards. Thanking you. Hanumagouda Patil
    Hanumagouda Patil
    • Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:25 AM

• Nino
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 19 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

Hi,

Does anybody know, how to create custom style footprints? With the Package wizard are just the regular packages available. But I have to design a whole bunch of non-standard devices. And it's quiet confusing because there is no way (at least i could not find any) to make a footrint for an SOT-223 (3 small terminals on one side and one big thermal terminal on the other side).

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 7:33 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

Have a look at <your_install_dir>\doc\algrolibdev\algrolibdev.pdf which talks you through the process of manually adding pins, lines, text etc to create a footprint. There is also an Orcad App called pcbfootprintgen which is a cut down version of the new footprint tool EDABuilder. Both are available for a small cost. You can even get a 7 day free trial of the pcbfootprintgen which will generate IPC based footprints for you. Have a look at :-

http://orcadmarketplace.ema-eda.com/Publications.aspx then go to the online store to get the app.

• Fri, Nov 29 2013 1:18 AM

• PHMISTRY
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 21 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 115

After creating .dra file and .psm file hows create foot print and add to the capture cis ,And also the tell us hows measuring the dimention with out scale,,,,

.......because after creating a  shape and all the thing its not possible to renew it. 

• Fri, Nov 29 2013 1:44 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,240
    • Points 20,200

Put the name of the dra/psm into Capture CIS PCB Footpriint property, i.e. if your footprint is called soic8.dra/psm then put soic8 in the PCB Footprint property of the part in capture CIS.

Inside PCB Editor there is a Display - Measure command, make sure the correct items are enabled in the Find Filter (fold out menu on the right hand side) and then select the items you wish to measure. You'll see a popup box with the dimension information,x,y airgap etc.

You can renew parts. If you make a change to the dra/psm file go to the board that uses it and use Place - Update Symbols, select the relevant items and click on Refresh.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by blackflowers at 16 Jun 2009 09:57 AM. Topic has 8 replies.