Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Hole symbols from mirrored symbol pins not showing on Fab Layer Gerber

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Hole symbols from mirrored symbol pins not showing on Fab Layer Gerber 

Last post Mon, Feb 15 2010 12:57 PM by Babu Bin Karim. 7 replies.
Started by LANCEK 08 Jun 2009 02:44 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 4123 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jun 8 2009 2:44 PM

• LANCEK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 8 2009
    • LAS VEGAS, NV
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50
    Hole symbols from mirrored symbol pins not showing on Fab Layer Gerber Reply
    Hello fellow PCBers:

I’m having a problem manufacturing my Fab-Layer artwork in v16.0. When I view the Fab-Layer in Orcad, all the holes are shown with their correct symbols. After manufacturing the artwork, only the holes of parts that are on the Top Layer are shown on the Gerber File.

I have updated their individual PAD files and Symbol files, updated the symbols on the board, updated the Drill Legend and NC-Drilled a dozen times, gone to drill customization verified that the holes are defined as I thought and "validated" (not that I know what validate does).

NCLEGEND-1-2 (it’s a 2-Layer board) is in the Manufacture>Artwork>FabLayer film definition, so I have no clue how to fix this problem.

When I view only the Fab Layer in Orcad and turn on Symbol Pin in Super Filter, I can "select" the hole-symbols of parts that are on the top layer, but the program does not appear to recognize the hole-symbols that are on the bottom layer.

There has to be some basic thing I have set up incorrectly, because this seems like a fairly simple task that I'm trying to accomplish!

Thanks for any help!
    -Lance
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Jun 8 2009 5:20 PM

• LANCEK
    • Not Ranked
    • LAS VEGAS, NV
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50
    Re: Hole symbols from mirrored symbol pins not showing on Fab Layer Gerber Reply

Screen shot in Orcad: 

Actual Gerber screen shot:

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 9 2009 5:36 AM

• BillZ
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,170
    Re: Hole symbols from mirrored symbol pins not showing on Fab Layer Gerber Reply

Hi

I'm not 100% sure but I think this was fixed in an ISR. Please check the service pack you are at. The most uptodate version 16.0 of OrCAD PCB Designer is:

Version 16.0 s050 (v16-0-87BH) (3/25/2008)

Regards,

BillZ

EMA Design Automation

• Tue, Jun 9 2009 9:38 AM

• LANCEK
    • Not Ranked
    • LAS VEGAS, NV
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Thanks Bill!

I have OrCAD PCB Designer 16.0 p006 (v16-0-87H) [6/14/2007] i86

When our licence was expiring at the end of last year, I was told there were no updates available, so I had no incentive to update the service plan that had never been used. If thatversion was from March of last year, it was available. Am I in hosed because I am no longer up to date, or is there somewhere I can go to download the service pack?

Thanks again.
    Lance

• Tue, Jun 9 2009 10:12 AM

• LANCEK
    • Not Ranked
    • LAS VEGAS, NV
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

As I keep trying to sign up for SourceLink, where I hope I can download from, I get the well worded error:
    "System is currently having problem. Please try again later."

I guess I'll keep trying.

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 5:31 AM

• BillZ
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,170

Hi

OrCAD Customers do not have access to Sourcelink. You can get the updates from your VAR. In North America it is EMA Design Automation. If you are on current maintenance.

A Hot fix was released for OrCAD PCB Editor the current version is

16.0 S050 Dated 3/25/2008  you are running the base release. I can not be 100% sure the hotfix would correct this issue with out testing. Also version 16.2 has been released with new features.

Regards,

BillZ

EMA Design Automation 

• Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:47 PM

• Babu Bin Karim
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 33
    • Points 390

Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue. I use Allegro 16.0. After a first level investigation, I found that the drill symbols of all the through hole components placed in the bottom side of the PCB(mirrored components) are appearing in the NCdrill_figure subclass. Even if we add it in the film setup for crating an artwork including the "NCdrill_figure" subclass, the symbols will not be present in the final generated artwork. I had also tried to draw some lines in the "NCdrill_figure"subclass to checkwhether it is ignoring the entire subclass whilecreating the artwork. But, surprisingly, the lines I added manually to "NCdrill_figure"subclass appears in the art work.

That is, only the drill symbols present in the "NCdrill_figure" subcalss is not getting 'exported' to the final artwork. I have no clue how to solve this. I think this is a problem with the tool itself. Allegro 15.7 doesn't have this problem because all the drill symbols are coming in the "NCdrill_figure"subclass only.

NB: There is another post about this subject in the forum at

http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/p/10715/11705.aspx#11705

http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/p/12013/16100.aspx#16100

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 12:57 PM

• Babu Bin Karim
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Trivandrum, Kerala
    • Posts 33
    • Points 390

Hi all,

I think I have a solutin for this problem.

For 16.0 users please try the following steps (Steps below assume a 10-layer PCB).

1.    Go to Setup>Subclasses
    2.    Add a new subclass “NCLEGEND-10-1” under the “MANUFACTURING” class
    3.    Make the “NCLEGEND-10-1” subclass visible
    4.    Update the drill chart from “Manufacture>NC>Drill Legend”. The drill figures of mirrored TH components will appear in this subclass.
    5.    In the film setup add the “NCLEGEND-10-1” subclass along with“NCLEGEND-1-10” subclass under the ‘FAB_DWG’ film

These steps solved the problem for me. Hope this will work for others  also.

Regards,

Babu

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by LANCEK at 08 Jun 2009 02:44 PM. Topic has 7 replies.