Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > How do I avoid the renaming of long net names during netlisting/flattening?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How do I avoid the renaming of long net names during netlisting/flattening? 

Last post Mon, Jun 15 2009 10:36 AM by skillUser. 13 replies.
Started by skillet 05 Jun 2009 01:47 PM. Topic has 13 replies and 8190 views
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 1:47 PM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 5 2009
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    How do I avoid the renaming of long net names during netlisting/flattening? Reply

I've been able to read a Verilog file into DFII via ihdl to create a netlist view. My intent is to create an autoLayout view, so I go to "Tools --> Floorplan/Netlist in my window that shows me the netlist view and then go to the Hierarchy Browser. After preparing all my settings I click on "Hierarchy ---> Generate Physical Hierarchy". Eventually I get my autoLayout view.

Everything seems hunky-dory, except that some nets have gotten renamed to something like "_LoNgNeTnAmE108(123)". It appears the flattener didn't like the original net name (even though it's not really that much longer and I don't think there are restrictions on net names in the CDBA, or maybe it's 256 bytes but I'm nowhere near that length).

The problem now is that I can't correlate some of my nets in the Verilog netlist with the nets in my floorplan.

I haven't found any documentation on net renaming or the generation of a mapping file that would help me sort this out. There's nothing to be found in the adpFlatten directory that I could take advantage of.

Any comments what else I could try to remedy this problem? I need my symbolic netlist match exactly my Verilog netlist. BTW, my netlist is flat. In other words, there is no hierarchy involved. It's just a bunch of blocks (represented by abstracts) interconnected by a bunch of nets. 

The DFII version I'm using is IC5.1 on Solaris (Sparc V9).

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 2:09 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575
    Re: How do I avoid the renaming of long net names during netlisting/flattening? Reply

Hi,

I've seen this in the past, and I believed that for many cases this was fixed/improved.

Which exact subversion of IC5141 are you using?  This may be important information.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 2:11 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575
    Re: How do I avoid the renaming of long net names during netlisting/flattening? Reply

I forgot to mention that the net names created by the flattening process were long because the hierarchical path was combined with the net name to essentially make a long string - are you sure that the net names are relatively short?

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 2:15 PM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140

The version is  icfb.exe version 5.1.0 09/13/200

Yes, I'm perfectly sure the net name is short because the design is flat to begin with. No hierarchy involved whatsoever. 

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 2:23 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575

What I am asking for is the subversion information, i.e. the line that says "sub-version" in the CDS.log, or type getVersion(t) in the CIW to get this information. My guess is that your IC5141 installation is not the latest, which probably contains fixes for this issue.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 2:28 PM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140

Oops, sorry, forgot about the command, but here it is:

icfb -W: sub-version 5.10.41_USR4.54.77

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:02 PM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140

I just switched to sub-version 5.10.41_USR6.127.29 with the same results. I think it is the latest IC5 version I have access to.

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:02 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575

Hi Skillet,

Do you have a .cdsenv in your home directory (or current directory, if the CDS_LOAD_ENV environment variable is set appropriately)?

Add or change the following setting:

ihdl	maxNetNameLength  int 8000

You don't want to set this any higher than 8000 in case it prevents other tools from working, further down the line, but you can certainly set it lower - if this has no effect, then the installation is too old to use it, in other words, the setting was added after your subversion.

I've got a strong feeling that USR4 does not include this and so you will need to update the software to avoid this issue.

regards,

Lawrence. (skillUser)

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:03 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575

OK, I just saw your latest post, try the setting and see if it helps, it should with the USR6 based version.

regards,

Lawrence.

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:03 PM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140

Wow, cool! I'll try it right away! Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated!

• Tue, Jun 9 2009 12:25 PM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    How do I avoid the renaming of long net names during netlisting/flattening? Reply

Hi Lawrence,

So far I haven't had any luck. However, I need to clarify a few things. When I started this thread, I thought that long net names were changed by the flattener. The reason I thought so is because I checked the database and looked for a specific net name that I found in the autoLayout view, using

dbFindNetByName(geGetEditRep() "_LoNgNeTnAmExyz")

in the netlist view. Well, turns out I must have searched for the wrong net name and when nil was returned, I thought this proved that the netlister causes the net mapping. Now when I do a

geGetEditRep()~>nets~>name

I can see all kinds of nets with the prefix "_LoNgNeTnAmE". So that clarified for me that ihdl renames nets.

So now to ihdl. I'm generally able to read in a netlist using our Linux version of DFII. The SPARC Solaris versions we have (incl. the latest one, namely 5.10.41_USR6.127.29) crash with a segmentation fault during VerilogIn. When trying to read the Verilog file via the Linux version

layout.exe_64 version 5.1.0-64b 10/28/2008 16:04 (cicamd4) $
    sub-version 5.10.41_USR6-64b.127.29

it doesn't seem to recognize the entry

ihdl maxNetNameLength int 1024

in my .cdsenv file in my directory. I first left CDS_LOAD_ENV untouched, but even after setting

setenv CDS_LOAD_ENV CWD

it doesn't work. I'm stuck. If you had any other suggestion, I'd be very greatful.

• Tue, Jun 9 2009 3:28 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575

Hi,

I think that I missed an important point - the above .cdsenv setting is used by VerilogIn when running from the GUI, but if you are running "ihdl" from the command line, then you will need to pass the option to ihdl through a setting in the parameters file, e.g.

maxNetNameLength := 4000

This setting was added from about USR3 onwards I believe, so the version that you are using should understand and use it.

Also I noticed in your version strings that you might be running in 64-bit mode; I'm not sure this will work for ihdl, so you might want to ensure that you turn off 64-bit mode for ihdl from the command line.

Hope this helps!

Lawrence.

• Mon, Jun 15 2009 10:31 AM

• skillet
    • Not Ranked
    • Santa Clara, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    I can't get it to work. I've tried our latest Solaris version (sub-version 5.10.41_USR6.127.29) and I tried our latest Linux version (also sub-version 5.10.41_USR6.127.29). I've tried 64b and 32b versions. Neither the GUI-based nor the standalone versions work. I've put most of my hope into the standalone version as I at least know that it reads my parameter file where I can explicitely state
    max_net_name_length := 4000
    Note that you stated in your last post
    maxNetNameLength := 4000
    but according to the Cadence documentation it should be the former expression. Just to be sure, I tried your expression as well but it isn't accepted by ihdl.

I use the following command and data files with the purpose to create a netlist view:
    command:
    ihdllnx86 -f ihdl_files -p paramFile <topRTL>.v
    paramFile:
    dest_sch_lib := <destLibName>
    ref_lib_list := basic, <
    otherLibs>
    import_if_exists := 1
    import_cells := 0
    import_lib_cells := 0
    structural_views := 6
    schematic_view_name := schematic
    functional_view_name := functional
    netlist_view_name := netlist
    symbol_view_name := symbol
    log_file_name := ./verilogIn.log
    map_file_name := ./verilogIn.map.table
    work_area := /home/<
    user>/verilogIn
    power_net := vdd
    ground_net := vss
    create_map_table := 1
    max_net_name_length := 4000
    sheet_symbol := Asize
    page_row_limit := 512
    page_col_limit := 256
    label_height := 12
    line_line_spacing := 0.2
    line_component_spacing := 0.5
    density_level := 0
    client := synthesis
    alias_module := cds_alias
    cont_assign_symbol := basic patch symbol

I don't see any other avenue to get this to work. No matter what approach I use on Solaris, it always dies with a segmentation fault.

• Mon, Jun 15 2009 10:36 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,567
    • Points 15,575

Oops, sorry about the mistake in my post.

I think that you may need to file a Service Request with customer support; this may be a data specific case, or something that was missed in the fixes, and so Cadence R&D may need to see this in order for there to be progress on the issue.

Sorry!

Lawrence.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by skillet at 05 Jun 2009 01:47 PM. Topic has 13 replies.