Home > Community > Forums > IC Packaging and SiP Design > Moving Wire Bond in APD16.2 results disconnect Wire and it's Bond Finger

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Moving Wire Bond in APD16.2 results disconnect Wire and it's Bond Finger 

Last post Wed, Apr 29 2009 8:05 PM by Tyler. 7 replies.
Started by Alice 29 Apr 2009 02:29 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 5378 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 2:29 AM

• Alice
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 8 2008
    • Bayan Lepas, Pulau Pinang
    • Posts 20
    • Points 355
    Moving Wire Bond in APD16.2 results disconnect Wire and it's Bond Finger Reply

Hi all,

I face problem when I want to move the wire bond in APD16.2. After the first nove of the wire bond, when I want to make second time move, the Bond Fingers will shove togather but the wires stay as it is. It seems like a disconnect between BF and wires. Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks,

Alice

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 3:45 AM

• JacobL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 21 2009
    • Järfälla, 00-SE
    • Posts 16
    • Points 245
    Re: Moving Wire Bond in APD16.2 results disconnect Wire and it's Bond Finger Reply

How do you implement the bond wires? I use a sub-class under package geometry. It is then not "connected" more than visually. To move a bond wire, I then have to re-draw it.

Jacob

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 9:45 AM

• BillAcito
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 14 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 52
    • Points 830
    Re: Moving Wire Bond in APD16.2 results disconnect Wire and it's Bond Finger Reply

Which "move" are you using? Edit-->Move, or Wirebond RMB Move (the correct one)?

• Wed, Apr 29 2009 5:24 PM

• Alice
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 355
    Hi Bil,

I used Select>Click on the wire bond > Move. Also, I tried Edit-> Move. Both methods gave me same problem. This issue will happen after I intend to move the same wire bond for the second time.

Pls advice.

Thanks,
    Alice
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 5:50 PM

• Alice
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 355

Hello Jacob,

I think you need to on the wire bond layers. Color>Bond Wire Profiles> check on the profile .

But first, you will need to set up the wire bond profile before do connection.

Regards,

Alice

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 7:34 PM

• Tyler
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 35
    • Points 520

I have heard of a similar issue before in a few designs. Are your bond wires quite short? What units is your design in? I know it might sound strange, but if they aren't in microns, try changing to microns and doing the move again. This might fix your issue. I know it has on some designs that I have seen. 

If you've already moved the wirebonds and they've become disconnected, 16.2 has the Tools -> Package Design Integrity command. Under the wirebond folder, there is a check which will look for bond wires which have become disconnected from their finger (or pin) and will try to reconnect them for you. I would recommend trying that out if you get a second. It's not a solution, but it will usually be able to fix the design up for you so that the wirebond move command works properly again. 

• Wed, Apr 29 2009 7:56 PM

• Alice
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 355

Hello Tyler,

I did as per your recommendation, and it works! How great it is!! Also, is true if wire is long enought I won't see this problem.

I really don't understand why need to have unit as microns to make the Design Intergrity WB checks work. It seems like a major issue for APD 16.2. I need to run Intergrity checks everytime there's disconnect moved WB. I did feedback to Cadence and the feedback is RND will look in to it.

Anyway, really appreaciate your temporary solution as I may proceed with the design.

Thank you very much. =)

Regards,

Alice 

• Wed, Apr 29 2009 8:05 PM

• Tyler
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 35
    • Points 520

I'm glad to hear it works! That's great, Alice!

Also, I'm reasonably sure that the design integrity check bug is scheduled for fix very soon. Last I talked to R&D, the fix was ready, but needed to be built into the next patch for customer release, so we should see it available in the next 2-3 weeks or so. 

The disconnect on moving the wirebond is still actively being looked at, so I don't know when that will be ready for release.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Alice at 29 Apr 2009 02:29 AM. Topic has 7 replies.