Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > ipcBeginProcess not stable on batch mode

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

ipcBeginProcess not stable on batch mode 

Last post Fri, Apr 3 2009 2:39 PM by WellsJong. 6 replies.
Started by WellsJong 31 Mar 2009 06:27 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 3266 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 31 2009 6:27 PM

• WellsJong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 31 2009
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    ipcBeginProcess not stable on batch mode Reply

Hi, Initially, I use ipcBeginProcess to run the command shown in the bottom using batch mode like the following

icms -nocdsinit -nograph -noblink < /home/irdc/users/wtjong/projects/MSD/shawn/fxdac260/ftc_porting.il

But it doesn't work most of time and the same thing happens using the GUI mode via CIW. Therefore, I remember that from some post, if I don't talk to the process, then just use csh, system, etc. So, I do that and it works perfectly as I expect. But I don't understand why and it is very difficult to trace down the problem because ipcReadProcess(cid) shows nothing at all. Anyone knows how to trace down this problem or any clue to do so? I don't know if I have luck next time if I need to use ipcBeginProcess. Thanks.

sprintf(info_str "/home/irdc/users/wtjong/work/designkit/optimization/utility/msd2.new/libChar/post_sim_find %s" fc)

printf("%s\n" info_str)

;cid = ipcBeginProcess(info_str);

;ipcWaitForProcess(cid)

system(info_str)

Best Regards, Wells Jong

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Apr 2 2009 12:58 PM

Re: ipcBeginProcess not stable on batch mode Reply

What release are you on? Have you reported this to Cadence Support?

getVersion(t)

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Apr 2 2009 1:34 PM

The other thing I wondered about was whether the program you are launching takes some time to run, and doesn't flush its buffers. Typically (unless you do something about it), most programs use stdio and have buffered output - so nothing actually appears until you have a buffer's worth (usually 1K bytes). When the program finishes, the buffers will get flushed, but sometimes if you have some kind of interactive back-and-forth between two apps, you need to force the buffers to be flushed (how you do that depends on the language you've written the spawned application in).

Of course, it may be something completely different - but you didn't give much info.

Ted's right though - it probably makes sense to report this to customer support and work through it that way.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Apr 2 2009 4:57 PM

• WellsJong
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    RE: ipcBeginProcess not stable on batch mode Reply
    Hi,         

No, I did not since I resolved this by “system”. I accidently found the forum. Then, I want to try to post something on it. Therefore, this thing comes to my mind. So, there it is.

What release are you on? Have you reported this to Cadence Support?getVersion(t)
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Apr 2 2009 5:29 PM

• WellsJong
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Hi, Andrew:

Thanks for the hint. The outside program, a C program, takes input from the SKILL program through the file IO and the SKILL program doesn't need its output. So, the program it's like

for( task all_task

increase the file_name_counter

prepare the file for the C program, the name is file_name_counter       ;; this is another problem I can not quite

;;  explain, if the name is the same then the 

;; following ipcBeginProcess will break at the 

;; second time, and from the message of

;; ipcReadProcess, it is said that the C program 

;; complains the input file is missing. After

;;  several try, I found this problem gone

;; if the input file name is different at each time.

ipcBeginProcess("run the C program with file_name_counter")            ;;

ipcWait()

)

BTW, since to run the C program requires some environment setting, therefore to use ipcBeginProcess, I create a csh script there and test it through CIW by tying

ipcBeginProcess("run the  C program with file_name_counter")

ipcWait()

Everthing is quite okay. So, I use "load the_skill_code" in the CIW and it seems good, too. But, when I do it on batch mode, this strange thing shows up. I have tried to put some check points in the csh script like the following

echo "check point 1" >> error_log

## some csh commands 

set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=...

echo "check point 2" >> error_log

run the c program

echo "check point 3" >> error_log

Sometimes, only check point 1 appears in the erro_log, sometimes, check point 2. Very strange, then I went back to CIW and found that this problem occasionly appears! Eventually, I found that "system" can do this task and the testing result is very stable. I didn't see this happening again. But I wonder what the problem is and like to see if anyone can help to resolve this weird thing. Thanks a lot.

BR

Wells

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 8:11 AM

Unfortunately I think too many of the details are missing to know what the problem really is. If the program is complaining about the input file being missing, that's not really anything to do with ipcBeginProcess.

Your script also has "set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=..." - I presume if it's a csh script, then it should be "setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ..." (i.e. setenv not set, and no "=").

Unfortunately there's too little specific information in your description to be able to diagnose anything.

The best thing would still be to report this to customer support, even though you have a workaround in place. I'm not convinced it's really a problem with ipcBeginProcess though...

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 2:39 PM

• WellsJong
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    Hi, Yes, you are correct. It should be setenv instead of set, this is a typo in my post. The another problem is gone since I use different file name in each task, then ipcBeginProcess is okay. I am sorry that there isn't much information there, which is also the root cause that I can not continue to dig out what really happen out there to make my ipcBeginProcess flow break. Okay I will report this to cadence and see if I can get any help to fix this for the next time if I have to use ipcBeginProcess. Thanks. BR Wells
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by WellsJong at 31 Mar 2009 06:27 PM. Topic has 6 replies.