Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > dataType in pcDefinePCell

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

dataType in pcDefinePCell 

Last post Thu, Mar 26 2009 9:19 AM by dmay. 5 replies.
Started by gsimard 25 Mar 2009 07:41 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 3750 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 25 2009 7:41 AM

• gsimard
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 20 2009
    • Posts 21
    • Points 465
    dataType in pcDefinePCell Reply

Hello everyone,

Until recently I had always used pcDefinePCell in a way that let Cadence guess the type or arguments I was passing to it, for example, as taken from the pcell reference manual:

(pcDefinePCell

( list (ddGetObj "libName") "cellName" "viewName" "viewType" )
    (
     ( param1 "defaultValue")
     ( param2 10)
     ( paramN 1)
    )

..... )

Cadence could guess the type of param1, param2 and paramN and everything went fine. However the manual explicitly says that in the case of a boolean value, one should specify the dataType as in  ( param2 dataType nil ), but doesn't provide a list of the dataTypes, at least not where I looked:

Virtuoso Parameterized Cell Reference p195
    Custom Layout SKILL Functions Reference p332
    SKILL Language User Guide p25

Please note that I don't only need the dataType format for booleans, but also for all other types. The reason for this is I'm writing a macro to replace all occurances of pcDefinePCell with myDefinePCell in my code. The later would then call pcDefinePCell and also define a new function that wraps code for (dbCreateParamInstByMasterName ...) with the proper parameter list belonging to this particular pcell.

Thank you,

Guillaume

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 25 2009 8:29 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 15,725
    Re: dataType in pcDefinePCell Reply

Hi Guillaume,

There are many datatypes that can be used for PCell parameters, however I am not sure what the exact list is (so far, I too could not find a definitive list in the documentation yet).

While not exactly the answer you are looking for, there is a reduced list of parameter dataTypes that can be used if the parameter will also have CDF for it, see the following SourceLink Solution:

SourceLink Solution 11130422

I hope that this helps!  In the meantime I will keep looking and post any results thatI find.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Wed, Mar 25 2009 8:57 AM

• gsimard
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 20 2009
    • Posts 21
    • Points 465

Thank you Lawrence !

I will look at this link as soon as I can manage to create a SourceLink account.. it seems to require that I ask my administrator our Cadence Host ID.

Meanwhile I found a solution to my problem by looking, as you hinted, to the CDF parameters. When you create a CDF parameter you are given a list of choices: string, int, float, radio, cyclic, button and netSet. You can use any of them like this: (param1 int 3), use them as a symbol, no quote needed. I suppose this is what I could have found by following your link.

Regards,

Guillaume

• Wed, Mar 25 2009 9:15 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 15,725

Hi Guillaume,

I'm sorry, I did not realise that you only needed to know the format/syntax of  (parameterName dataType defaultValue)

I am including below a section from the solution, specifically what you would need to put for the "dataType" argument in the l_formalArgs argument to the pcDefinePCell function:

CDF paramType   PCell parameter type
    ---------------+--------------------
    string | string
    cyclic | string
    radio | string
    float | float
    int | int
    boolean | boolean

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Mar 26 2009 8:45 AM

If you are using CDF's, be aware that the Booleans return "TRUE" or "FALSE" as the pcell parameter value. Where ever I have a user entered parameter value, I usually make it a string in both the CDF and the pcell declaration. That way I always know what is coming in and how to translate it into usable values.

Ted

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Mar 26 2009 9:19 AM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 393
    • Points 7,415

We are having a problem with some initial conversions using cdb2oa. We have some pcell symbols that have cdfs with properties that are netSet property types. However, we cannot compile our pcell symbols with this same property type (netSet is not a valid pcell parameter). The cdb2oa documentation states the following:

For all good CDF data, cdb2oa will be able to take CDF into account while instance creation. However, for bad CDF data (pcell superMaster parameter and CDF parameter with same name and incompatible valueTypes), cdb2oa will drop the override with approptiate warnings.

What is the recommended way to handle this? Will these pcells work ok in OA if the property types are different? Is this only a conversion issue when the default value is used?

Derek

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by gsimard at 25 Mar 2009 07:41 AM. Topic has 5 replies.