Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > back annotate from allegro(pcb) to orcad(schematic)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

back annotate from allegro(pcb) to orcad(schematic) 

Last post Sun, Feb 1 2009 11:54 AM by pakistan. 5 replies.
Started by pakistan 30 Jan 2009 09:26 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 8634 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:26 PM

• pakistan
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 24 2009
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,200
    back annotate from allegro(pcb) to orcad(schematic) Reply

Hi all, 

can I back annotate net from allegro(ver16.0) brd file to orcad schematic.
    I have a connector in layout which I can rout as "best rout" but it is very difficult and lengthy process to rout in pcb and then assign ports in schematic manually.
    Before allegro we use Pcad. In Pcad we can do it by generating netlist from pcb after best rout and then we compare both netlists and after comparing an ECO file generated, by loading this ECO file in schematic, ports automatically placed according to routing in the pcb layout.
    is there any way like this in allegro to rout in pcb then load it in schematic which will reflect accurate pcb routing.
    Thanks & Regards

Tanveer

• Post Points: 5
  • Sat, Jan 31 2009 1:42 AM

• pakistan
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,200
    Re: back annotate from allegro(pcb) to orcad(schematic) Reply

actually I have allegro ver16.0 and allegro capture cis ver16.0.

what is the procedure you follow if you have option to rout according to ease of routing. please let me know the simplest method of doing that sort of thing

Thank & Regards

Tanveer

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Jan 31 2009 8:58 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,440
    • Points 24,520

I guess that you mean that connector pins have been swapped inthe PCB to aid routing the PCB? This can be transfered back to the schematic through back annotation. The easiest way is to open Capture, pick the DSN file in the Project Window and then use Tools>Back Annotate, pick PCB Editor tab, specify the netlist directory and BRD file, check Update Schematic and OK to run the Back Annotate. IF you have any reason to believe that the files might not be correctly related, ensure that you have a backup copy of the DSN and BRD files before running Back Annotatation.

• Sat, Jan 31 2009 8:42 PM

• pakistan
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,200
    Hi, Thanks oldmouldy for your prompt reply.I want to confirm one thing when we swap pin in connector as per our routing ease without updating schematic first, we have DRC errors on these pins. Should we ignore them during routing? In my understanding this procedure shold be done after completion of routing, Am I right?

Thanks & Regards

Tanveer
  • Sun, Feb 1 2009 3:55 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,440
    • Points 24,520

The parts need to be setup to enable pin swapping in the PCB, otherwiae you will be attempting to route the PCB differnetly from the netlist. Use Place>Swap> Components, Functions, Pins as required. Unless you use the Place>Swap functions the loaded netlist will not be changed correctly and the changes will not be back annotated. See Chapter 14 of the Capture USers Guide, cap_ug.pdf in the doc\cap_ug directory within the product installation.

• Sun, Feb 1 2009 11:54 AM

• pakistan
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,200
    Hi oldmouldy,

Thanks for your guidance. It is working. Now I am able to do back annotation. Thanks again dear, you are a nice person.

Best Regards

Tanveer
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by pakistan at 30 Jan 2009 09:26 PM. Topic has 5 replies.