Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

what is the *.SLB library file? 

Last post Mon, Nov 3 2008 11:39 AM by bjazizadeh. 8 replies.
Started by bjazizadeh 29 Oct 2008 10:49 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 8783 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 10:49 AM

what is the *.SLB library file? Reply

Hi there.

I am having trouble when trying to undestand what the *.slb files do for you, if you want to get part models from them.

I have a list of these files from Pspice 10.5 library, and I am trying to get them work in Pspice 9.2 Lite.

There is also other files with *.plb format and .prp format. don't know what these are? what is the replacement for the

*.olb files?

Thank you.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Oct 30 2008 10:14 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,265
    • Points 21,620
    Re: what is the *.SLB library file? Reply

The SLB and PLB files are the libraries for the old schematics front end tool specific to PSpice. You probably won't be able to use them with the LITE version of the tools. The OLB files are the Capture symbols for the current front end tool, these are used in conjunction with the LIB files for PSpice simulation. Again you may not be able to use these due to restrictions with the LITE version, or possibly due to being an older tool version than the library version.

• Thu, Oct 30 2008 10:50 AM

oldmouldy,

thank you very much. as you said i could not open the .slb OR .plb files anywhere (except in notepad or wordpad!!!). now i have converted the .lib versions of those files to .olb version in order to use the part models. but i see most of the parts as just boxes with the i/o pins. i tried to change them so that (for example) they look like an actual transformer. but i cannot do that since the orcad capture environment has restrictions in using the grid paper. you have to put the lines/circles in specific locations. on the other hand when i open an existing model ( like an actual transformer) and i try to work on its shape i still cannot. it seems like some people previously have made the shape in another more flexible environment. why can i not do the same shape making?

please let me know what to do?

thanks.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Oct 30 2008 11:00 AM

SORRY, just wanted to clarify something:

by reshaping i meant, when you place a part in your design page and then right click on it to "edit part"...

thanks.

• Thu, Oct 30 2008 2:05 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,265
    • Points 21,620

By default, the "coarse", snap to, grid will be on. You can turn this off to get the "fine" grid on the toolbar, run along to get the tooltips, that should still work in the LITE version, the toolbar icon will be red when the "fine" grid is enabled, turn this OFF after editing the part graphics and before placing any pins or editing the schematic, otherwise items will be off grid and "difficult" to connect. You may also want to look at downloading the current demo CD, it has the same capabilities but the tools have been improved in the intervening time.

• Thu, Oct 30 2008 4:32 PM

that was a great piece of advice. thanks! it worked pretty well. but then there is no "save" options to save the edited part model. why? it is just that when you want to close the window, it asks you to upgrade. then you can save the "desing", NOT the actual part model (well, i had to open a new "something" to place the part and start editing...right?). am i missing something here? i was ultimately planning to save the newly edited part so that i can use it in its new shape in any other design or schematic.

thanks again.

• Thu, Oct 30 2008 4:42 PM

well...i went to project manager icon, and opened part manager. i updated the part, but it gives me the error of :

----

********************************************************************************
    *  Update Part Status
    ********************************************************************************
    Performing Status Update.
    WARNING #18010 Part at U2 on the schematic page - SCHEMATIC1 : PAGE1 has no part number property.

Status Update Done.

----

what is the procedure?

thanks.

• Fri, Oct 31 2008 11:10 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,265
    • Points 21,620

The Part Manager is to so with the CIS capability, this is probably not what you require at all.

The LITE and Demo editions are pretty restricted in what they can save, it may well be that you are over the library limits or the save is crippled for some other reason, like being over the design limits. You only solution may be to get a commercial version or restrict library contents to the imposed limits by creating your own limited libraries.

• Mon, Nov 3 2008 11:39 AM

Oldmouldy,

Hi. Thank you very much! i checked the release notes and I have not seen anything specifically said about the "save" menu to be crippled. but i understand, it might actually be the case (which sucks...!). i am trying to find the release notes for the next version after LITE version of 9.2 (or alternatively just 10.5)...i hope i can get something out of it. i will post whatever i get...

thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by bjazizadeh at 29 Oct 2008 10:49 AM. Topic has 8 replies.