Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > How to route additional cells after normal P&R

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to route additional cells after normal P&R 

Last post Mon, Nov 17 2008 9:56 PM by Sirrius. 2 replies.
Started by Sirrius 28 Oct 2008 11:01 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 1979 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 28 2008 11:01 PM

• Sirrius
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 13 2008
    • Posts 22
    • Points 275
    How to route additional cells after normal P&R Reply

Hi All

My job involves taking a routed design and changing some of the cells and routing them to the cells that already exist.

I looked at some ways, and the most obvious way is to manually "Add Wire" option in Encounter. Is there any way to tell the routing tool built in (like sroute) to route the cell for me? For example, I would like to route (or connect) a cell MY_CELL1/PortA (where PortA is the port of this cell) to MY_CELL2/PortB.

Can I use sroute? If yes, then, can someone please throw a hint as to how?

Any other method? I am sure that some method should exist, which should avoid manual "Add Wire" method.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 29 2008 6:54 AM

• BobD
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 247
    • Points 9,325
    Re: How to route additional cells after normal P&R Reply

Hi Sirrius,

Incremental capabilities aside for a moment, which automatic routing function you should use in general depends on the nature of the signals being routed.  NanoRoute (ie, "globalDetailRoute") is typically used for routing signal and clock nets.  "sroute" is typically used for routing power/ground connections so it doesn't seem well-suited to your purpose (I'm inferring this from the PortA/PortB names you mentioned rather than VDD/VSS).

Automatic routers in the tool rely on logical connections being in place which instruct the router as to which connections should be made.  For signal nets, these connections are determined from the input Verilog netlist primarily, which can be altered in-session with ECO commands like "addInst", "addNet", and "attachTerm".  You could verify these connections by clicking the terminals and querying their net and flight lines.

Once these connections are logically in place, you can proceed with incrementally routing them with "globalDetailRoute".  It would probably be good to "setNanoRouteMode -routeWithEco true" to inform the tool that routing is present and the tool should incrementally refine the routing.

Hope this helps,
    Bob

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Nov 17 2008 9:56 PM

• Sirrius
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 13 2008
    • Posts 22
    • Points 275
    Thanks! Reply

Bob,

Thanks for your advise. After tinkering around a bit, I was able to run ECO process. It was a tad tricky, since I was using an older verion of Encounter, which did not have "ecoDesign"

Thanks again!

Regards

Sirrius

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Sirrius at 28 Oct 2008 11:01 PM. Topic has 2 replies.