Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > scirpt to calculate area info

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

scirpt to calculate area info 

Last post Thu, Oct 2 2008 12:17 PM by yogeshyogesh. 2 replies.
Started by yogeshyogesh 01 Oct 2008 02:32 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 1941 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 2:32 PM

• yogeshyogesh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 29 2008
    • new york, NY
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145
    scirpt to calculate area info Reply

Hello Everybody,

I have written a simple script to calculate (physical) area information using "extracta" command. I use SYM_EXTENTS_X1, SYM_EXTENTS_Y1, SYM_EXTENTS_X2, SYM_EXTENTS_Y2 variables. I am able to calculate area the scirpt is ok. BUT, the problem is that the area is sometimes too big (5-6 times) than the actual footprint and sometimes it is too small. I am wondering what is going wrong? any inputs ... please help.

I dont know how the extracta tool works, which layers it looks at for this info? if the footprint was created using mm (as units) and the layout is in mils, will that cause any difference? if the ref designator text of the component is way bigger than the body can this affect the cordinates I am extracting? these are vaious doubts that I have in my mind currently. Please help me to clear this clutter in my head. 

Thank you.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Oct 1 2008 9:30 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 880
    • Points 13,550
    Re: scirpt to calculate area info Reply

Hmmm....good question.  I actually haven't used extracta in my own post-processing but have done SKILL.  I assume the results are going to be the same.

Can you post an example of what the extracta output looks like?  It should not matter that the symbol was built in one unit and is being used in another.

Also, post your question over in the SKILL forum and you might get an answer.

Bill

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Oct 2 2008 12:17 PM

• yogeshyogesh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 29 2008
    • new york, NY
    • Posts 11
    • Points 145
    Re: scirpt to calculate area info Reply

Hello Redwire,

Thank you for extending help to me. I guess I have figured out the problem. Instead of using SYM_EXTEND_X1 variables I used SYM_BOX_X1 variables in the view file and I am back on track, I guess.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by yogeshyogesh at 01 Oct 2008 02:32 PM. Topic has 2 replies.