Last week, at Cadence Sales Kickoff, we have heard fascinating presentations from key US customer executives. The main points each one of the presenters made were:
1. The economy is slowing down and as a result many of the semiconductor (and fabless) companies are facing major challenges.
2. The successful semiconductor companies are the ones focusing on specific solution for their customers. This solution includes most of the components (ASIC, ASSP etc..) required for a specific end-product. The goal for these companies is to be #1 in each one of these applications so their full solution will include all devices from the same company.
3. The market is becoming global and all successful companies share their projects across the globe. Operation excellence is becoming critical part of the success.
4. The above successful companies have a great potential to become stronger after the recession and therefore they are looking forward for the up-coming opportunity.
5. The number of derivative designs is growing and therefore IP re-use automation is a key goal for their development organization.
During the year, you will hear from me and others more info about IP re-use. Stay tuned!