Well, the more things change...the more things stay the same! The location of these tutorials and appNotes still seems to be one of our best kept secrets! So, I am disclosing (once again) the location of our SpectreRF Tutorials, Appnotes, and Workshops hidden in the MMSIM 11.1 hierarchy....
RF Workshop Tutorials
The RF Workshop Tutorials show how to simulate typical RF circuits such as LNAs, Mixers, VCOs, and PAs in spectreRF. See rfworkshop.tar.Z
RF Measurement Library: (Supported IC 5.1.41 only)
Modern RF systems require designers to perform different RF measurements, such as second and third-order intercept points, for a large number of design variations. This tutorial describes how to use and create measurement cells in the RF measurement library flow, including:
1. How to perform several measurements at the same time.
2. How to reuse the measurements for different designs.
The measurement-based simulation is easier to perform than an analysis-based simulation and is commonly used by other simulators in industry. The measurement aware approach allows you to place multiple measurements on a schematic. It also allows you to customize analyses and outputs to a greater extent than is currently possible in ADE.
See the measurement_workshop.tar.Z . Important note: This is available in IC5.1.41 only. It is not supported in IC6.1.X.
Signal Partitioning Workshop:
The Signal Partitioning workshop describes how to speed up SpectreRF harmonic balance simulation by using signal partitioning for special circuit designs. Signal partitioning provides a method of decomposing a circuit so that multi-rate behavior can be exploited to increase simulation performance. See SignalPartition.pdf.
The OFDM AppNote and Workshop shows how to setup and run a simulation that uses the OFDM module in MATLAB and Spectre. Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) is a digital multi-carrier modulation scheme in which closely-spaced sub-carriers are summed into a main carrier. The sub-carriers are orthogonal to each other and modulated with conventional modulation schemes at a low symbol rate. The summation is performed using Fast Fourier Transforms.
OFDM is robust against both intersymbol interference and narrow-band cochannel interference. It is spectral-efficient. OFDM is used in applications such as WiMAX, MBWA, Wi-Fi, and UWB.
See files: OFDM_tutorial.pdf and ofdm.tar.Z
The Gauss Frequency Shift Keying (GFSK) tutorial demonstrates how to set up and run a simulation using the GFSK module. The exercise begins by demonstrating the setup for MATLAB, then continues by illustrating the setup for Spectre. At the end of the tutorial is a summary of information about the terminals and parameters of the GFSK module.
See files: GFSK_tutorial.pdf and gfsk.tar.Z
SpectreRF Simulink Workshop:
This tutorial and appNote explain how to do high level system concept design using SpectreRF and MATLAB/Simulink, thus combining the best of system-level simulation with lower-level analog and RF simulation. Simulink provides large libraries of DSP algorithms for generating complicated signals and post processing while SpectreRF supports transient and envelope analysis of common RF and communication circuits, such as mixers, oscillators, sample and holds, and switched capacitor filters at both the transistor and behavioral levels.
See files: SpectreRF_simulink_example.pdf and SpectreRF_simulink_example.tar.Z
SpectreRF Noise Aware PLL Flow
The SpectreRF Noise-Aware PLL Design Flow is described in the following document: PLL.pdf
SpectreRF AppNotes and Databases.
1. Perturbation Based Measurements appNote and database: PerturbationAN.pdf and Perturbation.tar.
2. Harmonic Balance release notes HB_AN.pdf.
3. Jitter Measurement appNote: JitterAN.pdf.
4. HBSP Analysis AppNote: hbsp.pdf
5. Power Supply Rejection Ratio Characterization Using Spectre RF for Driven Circuits: PSRR_Drv_AN.pdf.
6. Power Supply Rejection Ratio Characterization Using Spectre RF for Autonomous Circuits: PSRR_Osc_AN.pdf.
7. Large Signal S-Parameter Wizard appNote and workshop: LSSP_AN.pdf and LSSP.tar.Z.
8. Periodic Stability analysis using PSTB appNote and workshop: PstbAN.pdf and Pstb.tar.Z.
9. Noise Separation in Pnoise/Qpnoise Analysis appNote: NS_AN.pdf.
10. Spectre/RF Matlab toolbox for Spectre/SpectreRF/Ultrasim appNote and workshop: MatlabAN.pdf and MatlabWorkshop.pdf.
11. Using Verilog-A Baseband Models of RF Blocks appNote and database: RF_Blocks_AN.pdf and RF_Blocks.tar.Z
12. Long Term Jitter Measurements appNote: LTJM_AN.pdf.
13. PLL Jitter Measurements appNote: PLL_Jitter_AN.pdf.
For more information and RF Design Tips, please see Cadence Online Support (COS) at http://support.cadence.com.