If you haven't heard about it....there is a new feature in IC6.1.4 ISR2 which makes troubleshooting circuits containing nports (s-parameters ) much easier and faster!
Starting in IC6.1.4 ISR2, you can now plot s-parameters directly in ViVA (without having to create a test bench and run a Spectre sp simulation).
This is a fantastic time-saver!
Why would I want to use this?
- You may want to view the s-parameter data in the frequency domain prior to time domain simulation to verify that the s-parameter data is reasonable. The s-parameter data may be measured from lab equipment (Vector Network Analyzer), from simulation data, or from an EM field solver.
- What often happens is when your time domain simulation (pss, harmonic balance, transient, etc. analysis) fails or the simulation results aren't reasonable, you want to look at the s-parameter data file contents to see if there's a problem... perhaps the data resolution is poor, the data is noisy, etc.
The old way:
Prior to IC 6.1.4 ISR2, in order to view the "native" s-parameter data, you had to
- Create a schematic test bench containing an nport with the appropriate number of ports.
- Run an sp analysis.
- Plot the results in the Direct Plot form.
For 2-port s-parameter data, this was an inconvenience (15 minutes) .
For a large package model with (say) 25 to 200 ports, this was just downright PAINFUL. (an hour or more).
The new way:
Now in IC 6.1.4 ISR2, you can plot s-parameter data directly from the ViVA Results Browser in just a minute or two by:
- File-Open Results
- Load the s-parameter data file.
- Plot the s-parameters
Yes, it is that simple!!!
- The s-parameter must follow the naming convention filename.snp where n is the number of ports
- Only Touchstone format is supported at this time. (Spectre and CITIfile formats to be supported in the future).
- Linear 2 port noise parameters cannot be plotted (This should be fixed soon.)
For more information, please see Cadence Online Support solution 11640878.