The introduction of Apps in the new Cadence OrCAD Capture Marketplace in the 16.5 release brings a new level of feature customization to the designer in a proven, successful, delivery model. But what does this “design by plug-in” or “app-based” model really mean for users?
Apps, short for applications, are additional software designed to perform specific tasks. There are a vast array of design flows out there, making it impossible for any out-of-the-box CAD tool to best serve everyone. Your needs are likely different from those of a designer at another company, or even the needs of your co-workers. Apps are beneficial because:
• They provide additional functionality
• You only pay for the features you need
• They are accessible instantly
• They will foster a community of development
• You Can Try Them For Free!
I highly encourage you to take advantage of that last point. Many of the apps in the OrCAD Capture Marketplace have free trials available, and beyond that, many of the apps are free.
Read on for more details...
Here’s how to access them -
You must have OrCAD version 16.5 with ISR S005 or higher to access the OrCAD Capture Marketplace.
Getting to the Marketplace
1. From the start page in OrCAD Capture: Click on the Visit Marketplace link, highlighted below:
2. Go to Online Store in the top ribbon navigation bar:
3. Browse using typical store navigation such as the products tab, or the top rated button:
Downloading Free Trials
1. Click on the app you are interested in, taking you to the product description page.
2. Select the trial radio button and add to cart.
3. Once you have selected your desired apps, check out.
Other Important Info
Accessing your downloaded apps in OrCAD Capture requires you to have an open design file. Your apps can be found under the accessories tab. The accessories tab is context sensitive so selecting the project browser or the schematic diagram will reveal different apps. After locating the app you will be able to access the help files packaged with it. You can contact your local channel partner for any additional assistance.
As always, I look forward to all who share their experiences with these new Apps!
Jerry "GenPart" Grzenia