If you have defined relational fields in your Allegro Design Entry CIS configuration, you can now include the relation fields in your CIS Bill Materials. When you include relational data in your reports, you can also decide how you want this data displayed. So you can choose to display the relational data horizontally (in the same row) or vertically (one line item per related data).
A completely different perspective would be to leverage EMA’s Component Information Portal™ (CIP) for design engineers using Cadence® OrCAD® Capture CIS. There was an announcement this week about another large component supplier connecting into the CIP system - Mouser Electronics Integrated into CIP for Cadence® OrCAD® Capture CIS.
Read on for more details…
Relational Database support for CIS was introduced in the SPB16.2 version of Capture. The SPB16.3 version of Capture CIS provides users an option to include relation fields in the CIS bill of materials.
Generating a CIS Bill Materials
1. From the Part Manager’s Reports menu, choose CIS Bill of Materials - Standard. The Standard Bill of Materials dialog box displays:
2. In the Template Name text box, type in a name for the template, or select one from the drop-down list.
3. Select a part property you want in the bill of materials and click the Add button. The part property moves to the Output Format list. Click on the List Relation Data Fields so that report properties will contain the properties from the relational table.
4. Once you click on the check box list Relation Data you will be able to add all the vendor table properties in the output format. For example in this case VENDOR:Part Number,VENDOR:vendor etc. gets added to the output format. In this case VENDOR is the table name in the database while Part Number is the column name in the vendor table.
5.In some cases in the Vendor table you can have the same part from two vendors. So in order to show both options you need to check Relation Data displayed:
6. By default, the report will display vertically the relation table content , clicking the check box Horizontal Output will change the format:
In the design all the resistors have two vendor tables thus in the BOM you will have 2 row/columns containing the data. In case the vendor table has more than 2 vendors, you will need to increase the size of the Max_rows accordingly.
Here’s a screenshot showing the vertical report for the BOM:
Here’s a screenshot showing the horizontal check box ON:
Please share your experiences with this new SPB16.3 capability.
Jerry "GenPart" Grzenia