There are plenty of new enhancements to the Allegro Design Workbench (ADW) solution in the ADW16.3 release.I'll be covering several of these over the coming weeks, but today's focus is the ADW Library Flow improvements.
A new bulk part release capability is available:
- Ability to pre-release/release multiple parts and models at the same time
- Prevents having to release each element individually
- Available directly from the Flow Manager
The two release states in the Library Flow - Pre-release and Release
The Pre-release state allows the model to be saved and distributed in the reference library without all of the valid checks that are run on a “Released” model. For example, a schematic model may not have a footprint model associated with it, so it is not released, but the schematic model may be required by a designer who needs access to that model in the Component Browser. The Pre-release state is displayed to the designer in the Browser. Before Packaging is completed, the designer would run a report to identify the pre-released models for updates.
When a part model is marked as Pre-Released or Released, any model associated with that part that is checked in and verified will be released with the part. Do note that if an associated model cannot be verified, an attempt to release the part may fail, but using the Pre-Release state, it will be permitted.
Any model that passes verification and is in a Pre-Released state may easily be moved to a Released state without invoking the check-out procedure. Simply view the details of the model in the DBEditor and select the release icon.
Using the Pre-Release and Release steps in the library flow manager opens a GUI (see below) that lists all objects in the current working set that are pending release. This allows the librarian to select multiple models and release them all in the same step from within one location.
Here are some basic steps and screenshots you'll see in the ADW16.3 release:
- In the Database Editor, search for the part (in this example, I'll use a part called MY_TEST_PART), and display the part details. This part is checked in and ready for release.
- View the details for the Schematic entry MY_SCH_MODEL. This model is also checked in.
- Click on the MY_TEST_PART tab to bring the part to the foreground.
- Select the Pre-Release Icon
- When the Pre-Release if completed, note the both the part and associated schematic model have been Pre-Released.
- Now select Release for the same part.
- Both the part and associated schematic model are released.
There are several addtional enhancements in this ADW16.3 release for the Library Flow.
Moved Major / Minor selection to check-in
- Previously selection was at check-out time
- Integrated into Check-in dialogue
- Checkout options in DBeditor, Explorer and Flow Manager for parts and all the models get the object into X.X version and do not show major, minor option.
- Check-out of any object which is not in Released state does not increase the version.
- Part check-in now allows a user to enter a log.
New Model UI, Basic and Advanced
- The new model UI shows two tabs – Basic and Advanced. Selecting Advanced lets the user change the name of the cell.
- Open Model UI Allows the user to select Tool name, version, Library name.
- The checked out models shows tool and Library drop down.
The cell model relationship moves as an Informational Attribute and the library name and Tool name are saved as attributes. This provides cleaner and more intuitive UIs.
Of course, please share your experiences with ADW!
Jerry "GenPart" Grzenia