A few months back I blogged that OVM was "Open for Business". A nice play on words, if I do say so myself, but is there real opportunity now that the door is open?
5200 OVM World participants. 10,000 downloads. 2100 forum posts. 200+ LinkedIn OVM Professionals. That certainly describes an active community. But how do we all monetize the OVM? Yeah, its pretty obvious how Cadence will monetize it, but a few recent announcements clearly show companies throughout the ecosystem see real business value in the OVM and are taking action to monetize that value. In the end, this breadth of suppliers is a win for the whole electronics industry.
Here are a few recent examples:
* Mentor Graphics just announced broadened support for OVM compliant Gigabit Ethernet VIP
* KPIT, a leading solutions partner to the global manufacturing industry, not only announced success with OVM but cited that support in their quarterly business results
* eInfochips, Silicon Interfaces, and nSys have all announced OVM VIP products as well
* Doulos is delivering training classes
* And since we are on a Cadence blog, we must mention the 30+ protocols in the expanded Cadence VIP portfolio and the Cadence OVM training
Contributing to the OVM World Creates Business Leads
If you are a smaller supplier, how do you get to grab the spotlight in the OVM World? Taking a cue from IBM and Eclipse open source community, we have just opened a contribution area on the OVM World. How is it working? Feel free to ask Sasan Iman from Simantis. In one month, his OVM examples posting has garnered 142 downloads! That means 142 new potential customers for Simantis verification services. That's how you create opportunity and monetize the OVM.
How are you creating opportunity with the OVM?